The Weidner, Hill, Ashbaugh and Fickes Families
From “Combination Atlas Map of Tuscarawas County, Ohio” L.H. Everts & Co. 1884, pg 79.
The mountains of Nantaglow, Wales, overlooked the homes of Richard and Jane Meredith, and of Roland and Catherine Jones. John Meredith, a son of the first family, born in 1803, and Martha Jones, a daughter of the second family, born October 31, 1810, were married October 31, 1830, and started for America. The voyage occupied three months and seven days. Richard their oldest child, was born August 8, 1831, in Licking County. Their second child, Mary Ann, was born November 4, 1833, at the old Iron Furnace near Zoar, where the father was emloyed. Mary Ann married George Smith and both are dead. They were the parents of John W. Smith again mentioned. Telitha C., now Mrs. John English, the third child, was born there, September 8, 1835.
Six months later, John moved his family to Goshen and was successfully engaged there in farming and in shipping coal by the Ohio Canal to Cleveland until his death June 13, 1858. Their other children were born: Roland J. on February 2, 1838; Almeda J. on August 19, 1841, now Mrs. William A. English; Elnora on February 2, 1844, married to John A. Wardell both deceased; Martha L. on January 9, 1847, married to William R. Moore deceased, of Albilene, Kansas; John William on August 29, 1849; and Christopher C. on March 29, 1852. John W. Meredith lived with his mother at Goshen, and in 1871 took charge of the home farm until his purchase of his present farm of one hundred and twenty-four acres in 1883. His mother, to whom all the estate was willed for life, rented the homestead in 1891, and lived with her children till her death which occurred on May 12, 1898, at the home of Mrs. Elnora Wardell. In the accompanying picture of Five Generations taken in 1896, this most worthy old gentlewoman is shown with her daughter, Telitha, with her grandson, John W. Smith and his daughter and her great granddaughter, May, who married William Fisher, and with their son, Clyde V.
John W. Meredith became Superintendent of the County Infirmary on December 5, 1905, as told on Page 6. On February 27, 1877, he married Miss Hannah A., daughter of Jeremiah and Susan Hill Weidner, who were married April 10, 1845. Jeremiah, born February 19, 1815, in Berks County, Pennsylvania, was the eldest son of the eight children of Peter and Rebeccah Reider Weidner, who were married March 27, 1803. Their children were: Hannah, Sarah, Jeremiah, Isaac died in infancy, Isaiah, Henry and Elizabeth and William who came to Nineveh, Tuscarawas County, in 1836. Peter Weidner was for many years a school teacher in Pennsylvania. He died in 1851 at the age of seventy-two years. His wife, Rebeccah, born December 9, 1783, died in 1865. Jeremiah was a cabinet maker in the East but followed farming in Goshen Township. From April 1, 1873, to April 1, 1877, he was superintendent of the Tuscarawass County Infirmary. He died December 7, 1889. Susan Hill who was born January 13, 1822, at Trenton, now Tuscarawas, and died March 6, 1889, was the daughter of Robert and Hannah Van Buskirk Hill. Robert Hill who died about 1830 was of the family of Jesse Hill who came to Tuscarawas County in 1806. Hannah Van Buskirk was born November 22, 1800, in Virginia, came with her parents to Tuscarawas at an early day, and died December 1, 1870. The children of Robert and Hannah Hill were: Susan, Solomon, Rachel, Isaac. Thi children of Jeremiah and Susan Hill Weidner are Emmaline J., deceased; Emma C., married to Frank M. Brown and deceased; Isaiah, deceased; Hannah A., born January 30, 1853; and George W., married to Estella Fickes. John W. and Hannah A. Meredith have one child, Florence, born January 7, 1878, and, on October 25, 1903, married to James, the son of Darius and Nettie Holcomb Nichols of Lorain County. Howard Meredith, the son of James and Florence Nichols, was born July 30, 1904.